Breakfast is served at 8.30am for our 9am departure in a 3 car convoy to the university, where everybody register and we meet the other participants and the local support staff. When the 1st session starts and the academics disappears into the lecture room, I spend a long time with the IT person, Helio, to establish a wireless connection. This does not work, so I go off to the ancient library upstairs - the university was founded in 1559 - to work on my lab report translations for the doctor in Philadelphia. I emerge for lunch with the professors and then go off exploring the cobbled streets of Evora. Our plan is to return early to the convent, hopefully now with hot water, and to have a light picnic on our terrace - instead of dinner in town - giving Oswaldo time to think about his talk tomorrow. I have fun buying fruit, fresh cheese, olive paste, wine, bread, pastries, and so on in the local shops. Back at the convent we set everything out on a chair and enjoy the rosy evening light, sipping a tannic Alentejo wine from the ceramic mugs I also purchased. We take hot (yes!!!!) baths and then Oswaldo submerges into some heavy thinking, while I relax with a sudoku puzzle.
http://picasaweb.google.com/schateaubriand/UniversityOfEvoraAndTown#
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment